The Unfiltered Lessons of a Female Entrepreneur
On Sale: 10/06/2020
Being a female entrepreneur just may be the toughest job in the world. In Coming Out on Top, Victoria Montgomery-Brown---the founder of Big Think, the world's largest archive of lessons from the world's greatest thinkers and doers---shares her firsthand, in-the-trenches experiences to inspire women to take the leap into entrepreneurship.
About the Book
With women leading only twenty-four Fortune 500 companies, female founders receiving only 2.2 percent of US venture capital, and the continued presence of sexual harassment and double standards, the gender gap continues to hinder the advancement of women in the professional world.
In Digital Goddess, Montgomery-Brown—founder of Big Think, a collection of experts across all fields and disciplines that are either at the top of their field or disrupting it, shares her story in an entertaining and educational light. Told from the unique, female entrepreneurial perspective that unpacks all the hurdles other female founders may face in their own journey to the top, Montgomery-Brown shares the real-world lessons she’s learned along the way, such as:
- Never lie to your investors, even when you just got arrested.
- Raising money is a poker game—learn how to play.
- The power and money still lie with men. Pretending it’s not that way, or being angry about it, won’t lead to success.
- Your relationship with your co-founder is like a second marriage, so forget about keeping the personal out of the workplace.
- The more authentic you are, and the more fun you have, the better your experience will be.
This book is about dealing with the way things are, even when you don’t like it, and being yourself, even when it seems like a drawback. It’s about sucking it up, making the hard choices, and dealing with the consequences. It’s about being honest no matter what is going down. Victoria’s been called “the anti-Elizabeth Holmes,” for a good reason—unlike the ill-fated Theranos CEO, she’s transparent with her investors even when she fears they will walk away.
Digital Goddess is a story for entrepreneurial women at any stage of life who want to know what it actually takes to build a business in a world that’s not always fair, predictable, or politically correct
'This book is a must-read for any woman who is looking to grow her career or start a business. Victoria has embraced the volatility of entrepreneurship with unflinching grace and fierce, bring-it-on determination. Anyone who wants to thrive in the age of uncertainty can learn from her example.' --Francis Frei, UPS Foundation Professor of Service Management, Harvard Business School
'Victoria Brown is a shining example of a modern entrepreneurial leader. She possesses the full start-up toolkit of smarts, competitive drive, and operational focus, together with the vital leadership skill to inspire those around her to achieve a common goal.' --Tom Glocer, Former CEO of Thomson Reuters and Venture Investor
'Funny, fearless, and sometimes raw, Victoria Montgomery Brown's book doesn't pull any punches as she details the successes and setbacks of being a female entrepreneur. It's a delicious read from beginning to end, and I'd encourage any young woman intent on chasing her dreams to use it as a valuable resource.' --Rita McGrath, Professor at Columbia Business School and bestselling author of The End of Competitive Advantage
- ISBN: 9781400220618
- ISBN 10: 1400220610
- Imprint: HarperCollins Leadership
- On Sale: 10/06/2020
- Pages: 272
- List Price: $27.99
- Publisher: HarperCollins Leadership
- Publication Date: 10/06/2020
- Trim Size: 160.000mm x 236.000mm x 22.000mm
- Weight: 398.000gr
- Category 1 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Women in Business
- Category 2 : SELF-HELP / Personal Growth / General
- Category 3 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Entrepreneurship
- Category 4 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Industries / Entertainment