Into the Storm
Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race
On Sale: November 1, 2012
The inspiring story of one group of sailors can teach you everything you need to know about teamwork. Learn the ten critical strategies that will help your team weather the storm of business--and sail to victory.
About the Book
Illustrated with examples from the story and compelling case studies, this engaging book provides the resources and tools to support teams on their sometimes-tumultuous journey to success.
In the face of turmoil and tragedy, a crew of “amateur” sailors piloted their tiny vessel--the AFR Midnight Rambler--through a treacherous storm to achieve victory in a world-renowned sailing competition. Their triumph--perhaps even their survival--owes itself to their astonishing commitment to teamwork: an alchemy of cooperation, trust, planning, and execution.
The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race is among the most demanding sailing competitions in the world. Unpredictable seas make the approximately-630-nautical-mile course grueling under the best conditions, but the 1998 race proved to be the most perilous to date when a sudden and violent storm struck. Six sailors perished and another 55 were saved in what became the largest search and rescue operation in Australia's history. But even while bigger, better-equipped yachts attempted to maneuver around the storm, Ed Psaltis and his crew on the AFR Midnight Rambler made the daring decision to head directly into its path.
Author Dennis N.T. Perkins chronicles their nearly four-day ordeal and draws parallels to the world of business, revealing how teams:
- can work together to overcome obstacles,
- Use teamwork to achieve goals and beat challenges,
- And succeed during difficult times.
Into the Storm will help your team achieve extraordinary feats--together.
- ISBN: 9780814431986
- ISBN 10: 0814431984
- On Sale: November 1, 2012
- Pages: 288
- List Price: $24.95
- Trim Size: 162.000mm x 235.000mm x 25.000mm
- Category 1 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Workplace Culture
- Category 2 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Business Communication / General
- Category 3 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Management
- Category 4 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Small Business
- Category 5 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Leadership
- Category 6 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Organizational Behavior