Leading at The Edge
Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition
On Sale: 03/28/2012
The century-old harrowing adventure of a group of Antarctic explorers is an epic tale--and an even better lesson in leadership. Discover ten timeless tips for achieving success in the face of insurmountable challenges.
About the Book
Drawing on the amazing story of Shackleton and his polar exploration team’s survival against all odds, author Dennis N. T. Perkins demonstrates the importance of a strong leader in times of adversity, uncertainty, and change.
Part adventure tale and part leadership guide, Leading at the Edge uncovers what the legendary Antarctic adventure of Sir Ernest Shackleton, his ship Endurance, and his team of twenty-seven polar explorers can teach us about bringing order to chaos through true leadership.
Among other skills, you’ll learn how to:
- instill optimism while staying grounded in reality,
- step up to risks worth taking,
- consistently reinforce your team message,
- set a personal example,
- find things to celebrate,
- laugh small things off,
- and--even in the face of extreme temperatures, hazardous ice, scarce food, and complete isolation--never give up.
This second edition of Leading at the Edge features additional lessons, new case studies of the strategies in action, tools to uncover and resolve conflicts, and expanded resources.
An updated epilogue compares the leadership styles of the famous polar explorers Shackleton, Amundsen, and Scott, which transcend the one-hundred-plus years since their historic race to the South Pole to help today’s leaders learn valuable lessons about the meaning of true success.
- ISBN: 9780814431948
- ISBN 10: 0814431941
- On Sale: 03/28/2012
- Pages: 288
- List Price: $22.99
- Trim Size: 152.000mm x 229.000mm x 19.000mm
- Category 1 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Leadership
- Category 2 : HISTORY / Expeditions & Discoveries
- Category 3 : BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Adventurers & Explorers
- Category 4 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / General
- Category 5 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Motivational
- Category 6 : BUSINESS & ECONOMICS / Skills